Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And they are off.....

Sunday July 13th, was the day for our embryo transfer.  We got to the office early that morning and went straight in to see the doctor.  After getting us settled in the procedure room, Dr. Schnell came in to discuss the results of our embryos.  We had 8 total that had fertilized, but only 4 that matured to the Blastocyst stage.  The other 4 were not quite where she wanted them to be, so they would give them another day to mature to the final stage.  She told us they would be implanting 2 embryos that were at the largest stage and the other 2 would be frozen.  We were a little disappointed that they were only implanting 2, but after she explained it all to us, we completely understood and agreed.  After signing our papers that we agreed to the 2 embryos, the nurse started getting me ready.  She took a vial of blood and Dr. Schnell gave me a little bit of Valium to relax.  She then inserted the catheter and they were ready for the transfer.  I was a little out of it during the procedure, but Sean was in there and we were both fortunately able to see the whole process.  We could see everything that was going on through the ultrasound machine and it was very cool to know that we were watching our possible baby/babies being implanted.  Dr. Schnell then removed the catheter and handed it to the Embryologist.  He took the tube back to the lab to exam that the embryos had been released and much to his surprise...the 2 embryos were stuck in the catheter.  Only the Foreys would have that happen.  So he came back and said that we had to do it again.  After the 2nd try, the embryos were implanted successfully.  We asked why they had a hard time getting them through the catheter and Dr. Schnell said that the embryos were very sticky.  She said, "This is a good thing, we need them sticky to attach to your uterus! "  YIPPEE!!  We are praying that the stickiness of them will work in our favor!!!  After lying in recovery for an hour, Sean had to go to work...in case of multiples, Daddy needs to work all he can.  hee!hee!  So Toni came up to take me home.  I was instructed to be on bed rest for the rest of the day and the following 2 days.  I had 2 wonderful nurses taking care of me, Mom and Toni.  They were very patient with my obsessive needs of having everything tidy and in order, even while I am in bed!  Thanks to the 2 of them, I was able to rest and stay off of my feet.  Toni took care of me all Sunday, until Mom arrived and then she stayed with me until Monday evening.  Monday, we received a phone call from Todd, the Embryologist, and he said that they froze our 2 large embryos, but that they other 4 stopped growing so they ahd to be disgarded.  He said, "for some reason, they just stopped growing on me.  Not sure why, they were growing great, but it happens."  I was a little sad to think that they did not grow like they should and that they were just thrown out, but I know that is all part of it and we knew that going in.  So we have 2 frozen embryos and we are just praying that this was a sign from God that we really did not need all of the other embryos that were retrieved.  I did ask him about the stickiness of the 2 that were implanted and he said it was a good thing.  He told me, " Do not be discouraged that we had to do the transfer twice.  They were extremely sticky and just got stuck in the tube.  That is why I take the tube back and double check it."  He said that he has done 5000 transfer this year and that 2 of them have been stuck in the catheter and both procedures resulted in pregnancy.  That just reassured me that hopefully the "sticky" is working for us!  Monday I had a few visitors and lots of phone calls.  My most favorite visitor of all was of course my sweet boy Hudson (and you too Steph).  Even though I cannot pick him up and love on him like I'm used to, I was still able to get those great kisses that he is giving out (sparingly) these days.

Sean took great care of me the rest of the time while on bed rest and has been taking great care of me since.  He is a wonderful nurse....and a cute one too!!  ;0)  I am feeling okay, a little crampy from time to time, but I am just taking it as easy as possible.  

Sean and I are doing good...staying very positive and praying like nothing else.  We really believe that God has put us in this particular situation for a reason and we continue to look to Him for the strength and the guidance we need as individuals and a couple to make it through.  We know he has a plan for us and we pray that this is exactly what he has planned.  Thank you to everyone that has called to check on us, read the blog, sent emails and most of all, stayed on your knees praying for us!  Don't get up yet...the race isn't over!!!!!

Here is a photo from our ultrasound.  The circle are the 2 embryos and the arrow is my uterus lining.  Enjoy!!!!

3 comments:

Gulley Gang said...

All of this is such wonderful news, and I thank God the doctors were successful at transferfing the eggs! I truly enjoyed your detailed account about your procedure as well as seeing the great sonogram picture you included. Please continue to take it easy, and as always keep me posted. You will remain in my prayers. Love you girlie!

Lianna Knight said...

Melissa...I saw your blog through Laura--she is a very good friend of mine. My husband and I have gone through IVF too and I am so proud of you and your attitude. It is such a stressful, painful, and exhausting ride...but think of the wonderful gift you will receive in the end. Stay strong--the hardest part is the waiting. You, your husband, and your embryos are in my daily prayers :)

Laura Ann said...

We continue to lift you guys up in our prayers. Melissa, you have been an inspiration to so many people through this blog and your IVF adventure. Continue to stay strong in your faith, continue to cling to your husband and your GOD. We are standing in belief with you and Sean that you will be blessed with a baby/babies soon.

Much Love ~ Curtis, Laura & Emma

Related Posts with Thumbnails